Friday 26 November 2010

Painful Recollections - Nov 1994

I can still remember that wretched day when I was walking my way through those trampled leaves, up to school. They brushed the pavement like a scratch on dry skin. As I stepped on them, they made a crispy crunchy sound like the sweeping of rubbish that is collected at night. I left them shapeless, stippled and scattered. They had become wet, then dry and wet again from the sodden rain that kept gushing down and halting all through the night. The rain sound gave me a headache, banging bullets on the window pane. Oh how I despised this weather.

I could feel the bitter drop of temperature and absolute absence of warmth. My teeth kept gritting together, nose frozen and numb. As I produced clouds of smoke from my mouth, it was really the only thing that gave me momentary heat around my face. Oh how I longed for some hot milk to de solidify my poor limbs from this charming torture.

The intense cold had actually taken over me and other than shivering like a half dead dog, I did half wish I was sitting on a beach somewhere. The closest to a beach I had was the Eastbourne peer, where not only was there no sand, but it was also the most depressing town I had ever been to in my whole life. Who was I kidding?

In the far distance I could only see some houses and bare trees. The fog had made everything blurred and the picture I recall was a milk lacing over the horizon. It all looked confusing  and bizarre. Was my eye sight in jeopardy too?  Not a single soul in sight, the emptiness was more than evident when I realised I could only hear my own breathing. The world was hibernating and I was facing up to the laborious obstacles of hiking up to my God forsaken school which couldn’t have been on a higher hill. Carlisle Road looked wasted and squandered. Someone please paint some sunshine if that’s what it took!

My climax was without a doubt the winnowing wind which bit into my face and punched me straight out. Stiff and statuesque felt I , never will or want to forget that day for the rest of my life.

No comments: