Tuesday 11 June 2013

Alfaazon ki Barsaat (Rain of Words)


It’s an odd thing what we do with words. From a very young age we are injected with vocabulary to help us communicate better or put into writing what we want to say. Is it so that only words are the way to get your message across? I believe there are moments in life where a phrasal combination is insufficient to send out your exact sentiment. Either way a loud scream or a bitter silence always contains a word or even a world of words.

Some of us choose to not speak at all. Silence is golden apparently. I speak too much, so I’m told. Perhaps it is true that silence is golden, because if I didn’t talk then the words I am not using would have more value and be significantly tattooed in someone’s mind if I used them like flakes of saffron and not spread them like butter.

Then you have those that get positively turned on by a person who has the most extensive vocabulary, even if the words they use deliver no meaning or essence to the listener. How so do words take on such a large role in our existence? If I could go a day without speaking, would I survive?

Say it, before it’s too late? Three words have the power to construct your relationship or destroy it. That’s a lot of pressure on poor words don’t you think?

And then there are moments when I am bleeding for inspiration but the words behave like a diva, she refuses to make it to show time. You do not understand me and I cannot explain. I call these moments of anesthetic stupefaction. It’s almost like my head is having a stubborn argument with my soul and I even need permission for my heart to beat at the right pace.

Unfinished sentences can be so sexy in my opinion.  I once read that each word if used with the perfect timing is like being undressed layer by layer. I want to do with you…” I have a husband who is a master at this and we have come to a point where I tend to finish his phrases. Perhaps this is what he wants or his game is to undress me slowly with his carefully chosen use of words. 

Words on paper and words from your mouth, we read and hear them differently don’t we? I often read a text message and fall into a tunnel of darkness and wondering. Why did they say that and how did I automatically apply a specific tone to the sentence? Am I creating my own trap of uncertainties?

It’s again a master and slave situation. Words can make us slaves to their meaning and it is us who choose to read what we want to read. A no and a yes can have solid weight I agree, but you know what has the most weight? Hmmm

I have to admit I am having a love affair with words and it will be forever, eternal and infinite. The best thing about words is they are upfront and honest. The ambiguity we choose to dress them with is just like making a cupcake look pretty and powerful by giving it personality and sex appeal. In the end the cupcake is successful only if the cake is moist and spongy.

Words are like fresh oxygen or deadly carbon monoxide, they have the jurisdiction to sentence our thoughts in one way or another. 







2 comments:

pamc said...

Words - both spoken and written have such an effect - but even more so, when they are sincere, heartfelt & honest. Without that, they are just ....nothing.

I really enjoyed reading the post, tks !!

BelleBarcelone said...

I have learned with time that silence is gold..
Very beautifully written as usual and loves the title;)