Monday 4 August 2014

Let it go / Let her go / Let go … more than just lyrics

I was listening to the radio just last week and I observed three different songs that have faired well on the charts this year. The world cup song by Shakira uses “Let go”, albeit sounding like “Lego”, Frozen.. I don’t need to tell you, you can probably hear it resonating in your ears and if not any child in the world aged between 3 and 8 will happily sing it to you and lastly “Let Her Go” by Passenger. I’m sure there must be others that have adapted these magic words in their lyrics, but my radio station has played these relentlessly on loop almost. 

These words got me thinking, perhaps that’s what lyrics do, play games with your head. In this case however I was positively inspired to apply these simple words in my own life.

Recently someone shared her experience about a good friend not being so good anymore. Well, to be honest my theory has always been that people don’t actually change; we only get to know them better over time. I find solace in this theory, as it suspends the progression of negative energy towards these people who make us unhappy. How dare they have control over our happiness? Also, I certainly do not wish to emit a pessimistic flow towards them; this does not favour my karmic foundations either. 

Every human being, including you and I go through a metamorphosis every “x” number of years. In this transformation we actually go through what I call a detox process of discovering ourselves and what it is that we truly want, who we want to be, where is our life heading etc. The symptoms of this process include being a complete asshole or bitch for as long as this period lasts. I apologise for the language, but truly there is no better way of putting it. The problem is the repercussions this has on the people closest to the victim. They are so colossal; sometimes they can lead to relationships being destroyed forever. 

I have learnt that “letting go” of these good friends for as long as it takes is the only way we can firstly save clouds and thunderstorms of negative energy in our perfectly stable lives and secondly you can give those people their space and time to rediscover themselves. 

It’s all very easy to write this down and preach my theory, but in practice it really does feel like you are cutting off one of your fingers and your fist is suddenly mutilated. It has to be one of the hardest steps to take in life. 

Nevertheless, the benefits of doing this are far more worthwhile as you save yourself humiliation, feeling belittled by this person you cannot recognize anymore, unloved, invisible, unwanted and the list goes on. How and why did this happen, you wonder? It’s got to be my fault you often conclude. Err… NO it’s far from your fault and you are simply a victim of circumstance. In fact, the best thing you can do for this person is NOT being there. 

I have tested this theory to the tee and let me tell you it works. Your value in that person’s life is doubled over time, and let me remind you that you once upon a time before this person entered your life, you still breathed and survived didn’t you? You are not the life support machine for this person and neither should they make you feel needy and desperate if they are not around for you. 

I want to emphasise that as an honest and genuine human being you are dutiful towards the needs of your closest people and if they openly tell you that they need to be left alone, well we really must respect that. 

On the other hand you may find that the person is simply taking you for a ride and it’s merely a twisted tactic for them to distance you from their life without having the courage or grit to openly confront the situation. I pity this cowardice and if this is the case, well darling you definitely need to let go! The worst karma one can perform is playing with someone’s feelings. Now since karma is quite the bitch and never pardons anyone, you can sit back and relax, the circle always comes around. 

I dedicate this article to a friend who has suffered a lot recently and although Thoughts is officially not publishing for the summer, I did feel it my duty to nourish my readers a little bit. Let go my lovelies, for added baggage is always an extra cost to pay for and frankly I’d rather use the money and spend it elsewhere. 



No comments: