Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Silver Lining


And then I bent over to pick up my towel and a sudden needle of agony stabbed me in the hip. Ouch! That was new and not nice. So that’s when my unforgettable journey began. How was I supposed to pick up this towel? I suddenly felt incapable of performing the simplest task. I bent my knees and stuck my bottom out as if to slouch down, half scared to think if the pinch would return. I managed to decipher a position that enabled me to retrieve objects from the ground, without seeing the stars every time. I could yet not figure out when and how this foreign stranger had decided to invade my body and make life more than somewhat difficult. How long was I honestly supposed to sit myself down in order to wear some simple shoes? How long would I need to step into the car a leg at a time, mechanically time all my steps and not be terrified that a simple gesture would bring back the agony.  Mundane movements suddenly became arduous and rather time consuming. An idiotic cripple is what I did feel at times, and God forbid did I need help with something.

“Here hold my hand so you can get up from the couch.” Are you kidding me? My death stares delivered my replies to him. Turn over slowly, hold onto the armrest of the sofa and slowly lift yourself up. I began to verse these set of instructions to myself and did feel almost like teaching a baby how to take his first steps. Except, I was no baby, a full grown adult who for some reason had managed to lock herself into her own hip. The initial discomfort soon turned into a beastly nightmare that invaded my sleeping positions. A certain turn on the bed truly bit me in the ass one day and that was when I realised the need for painkillers was rather necessary.

I’ve made friends with a new being. I say being because he provides me the heat when I most need it. Jamie is my electric blanket and never lets me down. I was smart enough to discover that Jamie even lives in the seat of my car. How convenient isn’t it? One button and he’s ready to make me hot. Trust me Jamie can momentarily kill my pain and numb the raw soreness.

On the upside I have been able to watch many movies that had been downloaded and were just occupying unnecessary memory on my laptop, I have mastered Spotify to perfection and in the process discovered Sound Cloud and the likes of many other music sharing websites. My playlists are organized better than your average geek and I am proud to say I read five different online newspapers everyday. Rest is what I have been told to take, well I’m resting away and occasionally have a fit of frenzy when I have the urge to wear my trainers and just disappear into the mountains. What exactly will I do there? Apart from moan and sulk in pain, well not much more. Sit put and carry on reading the Huffington Post.

I know this adventure on my bed will end soon, so I choose to make the most of it and spend good quality time with Jamie and all my other bed buddies. Thank you for showing me this experience, thank you for slowing me down and most of all thank you for showing me the different thresh holds of spasms, chronically violent moments of agony where I just want to yell my lungs out and sometimes even kill someone. After all, I realise giving birth was far more heroic and tells a better war story than my hip narrative! 



No comments: